Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Days 6, 7 & 8

July 5 - Day 6
This was the busiest day since move in.  Paint, cable/internet, sprinklers and the yard mowed.  It's hard to tell in these photos, but each room is actually a different color!  The great room is "Hopsack"; a dark khaki.  The entry/kitchen/stairs/upstairs hall is "Nomadic Desert"; a dark cream/light khaki.  The master bedroom is "Down Home"; more of a milk chocolate.  The master bathroom is "Sands of Time"; slightly darker than the entry/kitchen/stairs/upstairs hall.  It was so refreshing to come home and not see the salmon, yellow cream, sunflower and sage green in the great room, entry, kitchen and master bedroom.  With the new coat of paint, the rooms looked totally different.  It started to feel more like "ours".




Master bedroom before paint.
Master bedroom after paint.


The Agent stayed home that morning to observe paint, ensure cable was installed where we wanted and to make sure sprinkler system repair wasn't going to cost us four figures.  Paint was accurate and complete by 5:30 and cable wire through the backyard (now buried).  Luckily, a handful of sprinkler heads needed to be replaced, there was one small leak and water sprayed uncontrollably from just one location.  It was much worse in the yard than it was on the invoice.  At the end of the day, we were happy homeowners.  

July 6 - Day 7
Today's productivity: clean sheets on the guest bed.  Our good friends Troy & Erin were in town this night from Houston.  We went to dinner then for cocktails.  

July 7 - Day 8
The Agent was up and at 'em by 8:30.  Today's productivity: boxes to the basement and more upstairs to be unpacked.  Slowly the sitting room floor begins to peek through!  The microwave and dishwasher were also installed.  

I. Am. In. LOVE with our new appliances.  The fridge's meat drawer is the coolest thing since sliced bread. The stove boils a pot of water before I can find the right spoon.  The oven... has three racks and a warming drawer.  The dishwasher is so quiet, I can't hear it over the cat.  The microwave senses the size of your popcorn bag.  No joke.  

While we were shopping at NFM for these bad boys, I was fairly concerned with looks and how big the oven was.  Other than that, I didn't put too much thought into their functionality.  I just wanted them to look pretty.  At the apartment, I'd "make dinner"; whatever was easiest (velveeta and shells and maybe baked chicken).  These days, I want to cook a seven course meal just for the sake of playing with our new toys. 

I really had no idea appliances would make me this happy.  Boy was I wrong.  I'm also getting the distinct feeling this won't be the last time homeownership surprises me.  A year ago, if anyone said I would be blogging at 11p about new appliances, I'd tell them they were bats*** crazy.  A) blogging is "dumb" B) I'm always asleep before 10 C) appliances?!?!

Oh the difference a year can make...  

No comments:

Post a Comment